In 1852 the population of the town was around 5,000 and the parish church held only 1,000 people. There was rapid expansion in the north of the town in the parish of Langley Burrell, whose church could only accommodate 170 people. It was proposed to build a chapel of ease in Langley Burrell near to Chippenham and form an ecclesiastical district from lands in the parishes of Langley Burrell, Chippenham and Hardenhuish. The church was built by George Gilbert Scott in 1854-55 in the Early English Geometric style with a tower in four stages rising to a spire of 146 feet, containing a peal of eight bells. The church was consecrated on 18th April 1855. The registers from 1855, other than those in current use, are in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.