It is not known precisely when the Independent Church or Congregational Chapel was founded. One source implies 1790/92, but the first meeting house certificate applied for by the Independents was in 1799. The site was presented by a Mr. Barton, and the cost of the building was met by public subscription. A Pastor was appointed, but he resigned in 1816 when it proved impossible to raise his salary to £26 a year. Since then the church has been served by neighbouring preachers.