Kington St. Michael Church of England Primary School
Click on a photograph to view it.
A school existed from 1731 through the bequest of Mrs Sarah Bowerman, who left £5 a year forever for the payment of a schoolmaster. The first schoolmaster seems to have been Daniel Yealfe, who died in 1779 having been schoolmaster for 48 years. He was also vestry and parish clerk. In 1818 the school had a master and 10 pupils and it is unlikely that there had been any more than this in the 18th century. There were however many more children at four dame schools in the village.
A National School was built in Stubbs Lane just before 1840, at the eastern end of the churchyard, by voluntary subscrition. By 1849 there were 28 boys and 40 girls attending with the fees at 1d (about 0.4p), although the children of farmers paid 2d (about 0.8p). Reading was mainly taught so that the children were able to read the Bible. The schoolmaster was paid £25 and the mistress £18 per year. A new school was built in 1866 on the northern side of the lane leading to the church. The squire, Herbert Prodgers, had bought the land and demolished cottages on the site. The school and schoolhouse, of 1868, cost £650 and had accommodation for 100 pupils and 3 teachers. Until about 1880 the school was maintained by the church authorities with the help of voluntary subscriptions and fees. From 1862 there were also government grants but these were dependent on reports by Her Majesty's Inspectors, a payment by results system.
Wiltshire County Council took over responsibility for the school in 1903 and it ceased being a National School and was known as the Church of England School. A new board of managers was set up and in 1908 they decided that no school windows should be opened during the winter months. In 1912 new WCC regulations required 12 square feet of floor space for older children and 9 square feet for younger ones. This reduced the accommodation from 104 to 84 children when the average attendance was 91. After protracted negotiations the matter was settled. Shortly afterwards an adjoining piece of land, measuring 44 feet by 26 feet was purchased and levelled to make a playground.
It remained an all age school (5-14 years from 1918 and 5-15 years from 1947) until new secondary school buildings opened in Chippenham in 1956. The premises became inadequate with no permenant playing field and poor toilets, heating and ventilation. In 1978 a new school was built in The Ridings, next to the church, and was opened on 11th October 1979.