National School, Kington St. Michael

Click on a photograph to view it.

A school existed from 1731 through the bequest of Mrs Sarah Bowerman, who left £5 a year forever for the payment of a schoolmaster. The first schoolmaster seems to have been Daniel Yealfe, who died in 1779 having been schoolmaster for 48 years. He was also vestry and parish clerk. In 1818 the school had a master and 10 pupils and it is unlikely that there had been any more than this in the 18th century. There were however many more children at four dame schools in the village.

A National School was built in Stubbs Lane just before 1840, at the eastern end of the churchyard, by voluntary subscrition. By 1849 there were 28 boys and 40 girls attending with the fees at 1d (about 0.4p), although the children of farmers paid 2d (about 0.8p). Reading was mainly taught so that the children were able to read the Bible. The schoolmaster was paid £25 and the mistress £18 per year. A new school was built in 1866 on the northern side of the lane leading to the church. The squire, Herbert Prodgers, had bought the land and demolished cottages on the site. The school and schoolhouse, of 1868, cost £650 and had accommodation for 100 pupils and 3 teachers. Until about 1880 the school was maintained by the church authorities with the help of voluntary subscriptions and fees. From 1862 there were also government grants but these were dependent on reports by Her Majesty's Inspectors, a payment by results system.
Further information will be found under the heading, Church of England School, Kington St. Michael.